Mattesons in Crompton, Rhode Island
From: The history of Warwick, Rhode Island, from its settlement in 1642 ...
By Oliver Payson Fuller
Angell, Burlingameo & Co., Printers I875
During the time in which the old school-house was in use, the village of Crompton had come into existence. The present site of the village with many contiguous acres fell at a very early period into the possession of the Mattesons. Henry Matteson devised by will, Dec. 12, 1756, this tract to his two sons, Nicholas and Isaac, the former of whom married Abigail, daughter of Jonathan Cook. They sold to William Rice, for £1200, June 4,1779, 127 acres of land and a dwelling house, the boundaries of which were: a highway on the south, east and west; northerly, by land of James Greene and Thomas Matteson. The highway alluded to is the ancient one leading from Centreville in a southerly direction until it meets the Coweset road, then running south-westerly along the Pawtuxet to the village of Washington. Mr. Rice purchased on both sides of the Pawtuxet, meeting James Greene's land at Centreville, and both his and Thomas Matteson's at Matteson's pond. Some of the bounds, as laid down upon the Matteson deed, are not now in existence; for instance, a large spring in the south-west corner which has been overflowed since the erection of the dams. Paper currency depreciated so rapidly after the sale that the Mattesons were scarcely able to exchange their £1200 for a yoke of oxen.
Note: Crompton is a small village in West Warwick, Rhode Island, USA. It is named after Samuel Crompton, inventor of the "spinning mule".
Return to Facts and Findings